Q: How Many Congressional Districts are in the San Francisco Bay Area?
Q: How is the “San Francisco Bay Area” defined?
A: The nine counties surrounding the San Francisco Bay, including: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Solano and Sonoma
Q. How Many Congressional Districts are entirely in the SF Bay Area?
Q. How Many Congressional Districts are partially in the SF Bay Area?
The following table shows the partial and whole Congressional Districts in the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area. Data is from the decennial census head count on April 1, 2010. Congressional Representatives are for the 115th Congress (2017-2019).
|Congressional District||Congress Person||Party/ Hometown||Bay Area County(ies)||Bay Area Population||Congressional District Population||% of District in Bay Area|
|2||Huffman||D-San Rafael||Marin, Sonoma||438,045||702,905||62%|
|5||Thompson||D-St Helena||Contra Costa, Napa, Solano, Sonoma||671,854||702,905||96%|
|12||Pelosi||D-San Francisco||San Francisco||702,905||702,905||100%|
|14||Speier||D-Hillsborough||San Francisco, San Mateo||702,905||702,905||100%|
|15||Swalwell||D-Dublin||Alameda, Contra Costa||702,904||702,904||100%|
|17||Khanna||D-Fremont||Alameda, Santa Clara||702,904||702,904||100%|
|18||Eshoo||D-Atherton||San Mateo, Santa Clara||653,579||702,906||93%|
|19||Lofgren||D-San Jose||Santa Clara||702,904||702,904||100%|
|20||Panetta||D-Carmel Valley||Santa Clara||19,525||702,906||3%|
|Bay Area Total||7,150,739|
New Representatives as of the 2016 General Election include Rep. Ro Khanna, (D-Fremont) in the 17th California Congressional District and Rep. Jimmy Panetta (D-Carmel Valley) in the 20th California Congressional District.
Districts Partially in the San Francisco Bay Area (Six)
- The 2nd California District includes all of Marin County, 38 percent of Sonoma County, and all of the north coast counties (Del Norte, Humboldt, Mendocino and Trinity.) About 62 percent of the District 2 population is in the Bay Area.
- The 3rd California District includes 65 percent of Solano County, and parts of seven other counties (Colusa, Glenn, Lake, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, Yuba). About 38 percent of District 3 population is in the Bay Area.
- The 5th California District includes all of Napa County, and parts of Contra Costa, Solano and Sonoma Counties. A small portion of this District extends to Lake County. About 96 percent of District 5 population is in the Bay Area.
- The 9th California District includes about 17 percent of Contra Costa County, and parts of Sacramento and San Joaquin Counties. About 26 percent of District 9 population is in the Bay Area.
- The 18th California District includes about 16 percent of San Mateo County, 30 percent of Santa Clara County, and a part of Santa Cruz County. About 93 percent of District 18 population is in the Bay Area.
- The 20th California District includes all of Monterey and San Benito Counties, part of Santa Cruz County, and a small portion of Santa Clara County (near Gilroy). About 3 percent of District 20 population is in the Bay Area.
Districts Wholly/Entirely in the San Francisco Bay Area (Seven)
Four of the seven Congressional Districts are entirely within just one Bay Area county:
- 11th Congressional District: entirely in Contra Costa County
- 12th Congressional District: entirely in San Francisco County
- 13th Congressional District: entirely in Alameda County
- 19th Congressional District: entirely in Santa Clara County
Three of the seven Congressional Districts are entirely within two Bay Area counties:
- 14th Congressional District: in San Francisco (15% of District) and San Mateo (85% of District) Counties
- 15th Congressional District: in Alameda (89% of District) and Contra Costa (11% of District) Counties
- 17th Congressional District: in Alameda (26% of District) and Santa Clara (74% of District) Counties
Spreadsheets for This Analysis (updated 4/17/17)
Spreadsheets for this California congressional districts, updated for the 115th Congress (2017-2019) are available here: